
- Can I drill holes, or do I need adhesive or tension-mounted gear?
- Are cameras allowed in hallways, windows, or on balconies?
- Can I replace the deadbolt, or must I keep the original lock?
If you live in an apartment, choosing a home security system is a little different than it is for a house.
You may need to avoid drilling into walls, work around a landlord’s rules, and protect a front door, balcony, or shared hallway instead of a yard and garage. The good news: many modern security products are designed with renters in mind.
→ Your Homes Connection — Contractor Marketplace — free, takes about 60 seconds.
The best apartment security setup is usually one that is easy to install, easy to remove, and focused on the points where someone is most likely to enter.
Before you buy anything, it helps to think through your lease, your floor plan, and how much monitoring you actually want.
Start with your lease and building rules
Before you shop, check what your lease allows. Some buildings restrict exterior cameras, smart locks, or anything that changes the door hardware. Others may be fine with removable devices as long as you restore the unit when you move out.
Ask yourself a few practical questions:
We go deeper on this in the full breakdown here — worth a read before you decide anything.
- Can I drill holes, or do I need adhesive or tension-mounted gear?
- Are cameras allowed in hallways, windows, or on balconies?
- Can I replace the deadbolt, or must I keep the original lock?
- Will I need permission for a video doorbell or outdoor camera?
If you are unsure, it is worth getting written approval from the landlord or property manager. That can help avoid disagreements later, especially if you plan to install anything visible from outside the apartment.
→ See what you could be approved for — free, takes about 60 seconds.
Focus on the entry points that matter most
Apartment security is usually about protecting a smaller number of access points than a house has. That means you can often build a solid setup without a lot of equipment.
The front door
The front door is usually the top priority. A smart door sensor can alert you when the door opens, while a video doorbell or peephole camera may help you see who is there before opening it.
If your building does not allow a video doorbell, a portable indoor camera pointed at the entryway may still add useful visibility.

Sources & further reading
This article is for general information only and is not professional financial, legal, or medical advice.
Tom Bishop — Home & Safety Editor
Tom covers home security, improvement, and energy topics, comparing options on cost, reliability, and real-world performance so homeowners can decide with confidence.
Updated August 2026
No comments:
Post a Comment